xml uses and books to read

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 12 10:31:30 EDT 2004

On Sunday, April 11, 2004, at 05:52  PM, Meitnik at aol.com wrote:

>> In a message dated 04/11/2004 08:34:20 PM,
>> Mark Brownell writes:
>>
>> There are so many uses for XML that if you have a specific need you
>> might want to learn about XML by the topic or area of interest best
>> suited to your needs.

> -- Since custom props can't have arrays (and using prop sets are a
> hack from
> my pov) -- yet, I am using xml as a data structure only. will this
> help narrow
> down the book i should read. I am finding the rr docs to be poor and
> poor
> examples too, sorry. This is my second pass on the rr docs. But am
> determined to
> master xml, just wish I didnt have to work so hard on it.
>
> Andrew

At an earlier time I posted this stack and message below. It is a set
of functions that can store data as simple XML, MTML, and parse it by
calling a location. You could store records inside any array address
then use simple MTML tags inside each record for specific data. This is
just an example stack. You would be expected to know how to work with
the functions after reading the examples. MTML, if used for the purpose
of transforming it into well-formed validated XML, only lacks a proper
header and root level to parse with the rev based parser. So a dual use
parsing system could be run using the simpler to use MTML & the rev
based parser if that interests you.

Earlier:
Dimensional Arrays:

This thing is not a real array within an array, it just acts like one.
It provides a way to stare the data as MTML, like simple XML. This
version is created with functions that can be copied to your own
scripts.

Paste this into the message window:
go URL "http://www.gizmotron.org/revolution/dimensionalList.rev"

   -- see stack scripts for functions
   -- function addArray dataString, spotArray, theData
   -- Note: addArray() will replace data that already exists in the
dataString
   -- Example for adding multi-dimensional data:
   -- put addArray(myMTMLDataString, "[1][4][5]", "John Doe") into field
"showMTML"
   -- put addArray(myMTMLDataString, "1,4,5", "John Doe") into field
"showMTML"

   -- see stack scripts for functions
   -- function getArray dataString, spotArray
   -- Example for getting multi-dimensional data:
   -- put getArray(myMTMLDataString, "[1][4][5]") into field "showData"
   -- put getArray(myMTMLDataString, "1,4,5") into field "showData"

Mark Brownell