xml uses and books to read

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Apr 11 21:10:15 EDT 2004

Meitnik at aol.com wrote:

>>There are so
>>many uses for XML that if you have a specific need you might want to
>>learn about XML by the topic or area of interest best suited to your
>>needs.
>>-- Since custom props can't have arrays (and using prop sets are a hack from
>
> my pov) -- yet, I am using xml as a data structure only. will this help narrow
> down the book i should read. I am finding the rr docs to be poor and poor
> examples too, sorry. This is my second pass on the rr docs. But am determined to
> master xml, just wish I didnt have to work so hard on it.

What aspects are giving you trouble?

XML is just data given structure by putting it between starting and
ending tags.  Though an increasing number of applications use it for
data storage, its primary benefit is in exchanging data with other apps.

So once you find a task for which XML would be a good way to exchange
data, find out which tags the others apps use and parse those out to get
the data you're after.

Even better for Rev users, Rev includes a good XML library that does
most of the parsing for you.  If you need something in native
Transcript, Ken has a great Transcript-based XML lib:
<http://www.sonsothunder.com/index2.htm?http://www.sonsothunder.com/products/products.htm>

If you need to dig deeper, the XML spec is defined at the W3C site:
<http://www.w3c.org/XML/>

So dive in - the waters are well charted.  And if you get stuck in a
marsh or rapids drop in here and decribe the terrain you've encountered
and chances are someone else has already navigated it and can share the
benefit of their experience.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation