A Newbie's Feedback on Documentation and

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Apr 6 07:41:56 EDT 2004

Hi,

Just got a couple of spare minutes so I thought I'd share my thoughts
on my RunRev experience so far........

I have read the thread on "Document Development" with interest and
basically I think that there is a need for some documentation on how
to put things together in RunRev.

For instance, I looked at the documentation for the "Tabbed Button"
which once you understand how the rest of the controls have to be
placed is fine. The problem is that when you select the "Tabbed
Button" control, you get what apprears to be a "Pane" underneath the
actual Tabs the user clicks on. I assumed that what I needed to do is
to make the Tabbed Area as big as I needed to contain the controls I
wanted to associate with that Tab and by adding other controls within
this area would associate them with that "Tab", so that they would be
displayed when the user clicked that Tab. Having placed some controls
on the first Tab, I then spent the best part of an hour trying to
figure out how to make the IDE select subsequent tabs. It was only
after getting help from this list I realized how the "Tabbed Button"
control actually worked (many thanks to all who helped). Once I knew
this, the documentation did actually hint at this way of doing it,
but no where did it actually explain how the control *should/could*
be usefully used.

Basically the list saved me a lot of time and energy but it would
have been better IMHO if this had been spelt out beforehand in the
docs for the Tabbed Button. Sample Stacks are a good way of showing
different ways of handling the same problem, but by their nature they
don't really give you an overview of how the initial developer
intended the control to be used.

I think that a book on GUI Interface Elements would be really
usefull, this book would concentrate just on getting the controls to
work together and not on any specific task and would have no real
logic programming behind it.

Just my twopenneth!
Dave