I'm thinking of using Rev, can anyone advise?

Mark O'Neill rev at virtualamnesia.com
Tue Apr 6 07:10:14 EDT 2004

Hi There,

I am a Delphi programmer, and due to user pressure
I'm forced(!) to port my Windows application to
the Mac platform.

I have looked at various alternatives, including
CodeWarrior, Python and Java, but Rev seems the
most logical as it produces stand-alone executables
"out of the box".

However, I have downloaded the demo and am a bit
unnerved at the apparent simplicity of the
language(!), so I thought I'd post my question
here to see if the application that I want to
design is possible to complete in Rev.

I hope you can help.

THE APPLICATION
===============

In essence, I want to create a word processor kind
of a program that can handle specific paragraph
attributes such as Keep Together, Keep With Previous
etc. along with:

1. Page Break control (where the page break can be
   shown visibly on the page and deleted if necessary)

2. Paragraphs can have different "styles" - including
   different margin indentations per style. Bold,
   Italic etc.

3. Print Preview - although, if a WYSIWYG editor is
   possible to code in Rev, this is not really required.

4. Print.

5. Save as TXT, RTF, HTML and PDF.

6. Find & Replace.

7. Multiple UNDO / REDO.

I also need a list box which contains a navigation control
that can jump to specific bookmarks within the document.
The list box items really need to have "Owner Draw" properties
so that I can display custom icons next to the list names,
and if possible create a tree-noded list.

OK, sorry for the huge message, but I want to make sure that
this is at all possible before investing both time, effort
and money into Rev, and if anyone has attempted to write
an editor in Rev previously, I'd really like to know how
you got on.

Thanks for your help.

All the best,

Mark.