Multiple users server access

A.C.T. albrecht at act-net.com
Sun Apr 4 05:16:15 EDT 2004

Hi, Andre,

>> One method of solving this problem is to create an empty file when the stack
>> is opened ...

> And what about if the session is 'broken'...? No way to close that file. Any
> other user will be prevented to access... :-(

Actually there is another standard (sorry to insist in standards, my
feeling is: One should use them, if they are available) for this: CVS.
Don't save directly to the "original server site file" (something you
NEVER EVER SHOULD DO, remember the problems Quark Xpress always had with
users working on files that are located on server volumes) but use a CVS
layer to access the repository.
You don't even have to use CVS (if you do not like Open Source), there
are various versioning software solutions. The general answer is: Use a
layer that seperates incoming data from stored data and incooperates
changes through a "diff mechanism".

If users that cooperate on a single file have to be notified about
changes in the original repository file you could simply put a small
handler before the safe process that asks CVS (or whatever you use)
whether changes have been made already.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Marc Albrecht
A.C.T. / Level-2