Linux & application metadata

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Sep 29 12:05:02 EDT 2003

Alex Rice wrote:

> For what Window manager though? You have to pick one window manager,
> e.g. KDE - K Desktop Environment, and figure out how to do it for that
> window manager. There is not, and probably never will be, one way for
> all Linux machines. Because who knows what Window Manager the user will
> be running.

For things window managers have in common (file associations, icons, start
menu), it would not be hard -- from a technical standpoint -- to arrive at a
common set of mechanisms to make that happen, with older methods still
supported but deprecated.  For the most oart these things are established
with text files, so we're not talking about splitting the atom. ;)

But that's only the technical side.  Politically it would be a nightmare,
expecting Linux project managers to favor the goal of worldwide end-user
adoption over their personal favorite way of doing things.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation