Unicode problem with Simplified Chinese

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Sep 27 02:39:00 EDT 2003

On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 05:27 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

>> When the tagged file is imported into InDesign,  the Chinese
>> character E4B88A (UTF8; 4E0A Hex) is appearing as E4B88D (4E0D Hex).
>> All the other Chinese characters are okay.
>
> I don't think 4E0A is a single UTF-8 character.  Same with 4E0D.  Did
> you mean some other encoding scheme?

Sorry.  I can see you mean E4B88A in UTF-8 which is 4E0A in UTF-16.
And E4B88D in UTF-8 which is 4E0D in UTF-16.

And those would be C9CF and B2BB in simplified Chinese.  Well, assuming
I'm using the uniDecode() function right; I'm still figuring this out.
I looked on a simplified Chinese (GB2312-80) table and that looked
right.  Those looked the same as the unicode characters.

I used uniEncode() to convert back and the resulting code looks OK.

So, unicode functions look OK to me.

I did notice the 0A and 0D pattern above and those remind me of ASCII
LF and CR.  Coincidence?  Clue?  It seems uniEncode() seems to handle
ASCII mixed with simplified Chinese, so I would guess coincidence.

Dar Scott
unicode newbie