Saving encrypted customProperties outside the app?

Robert Hyde net_contacts at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 26 15:39:00 EDT 2003

All this speedy input is great!  Unfortunately, I have not been able to test
any of this out this afternoon.  And I am not familiar with Emacs, is it
associated with Rev?  Because I don't want anyone to be able to read the
custompropertysets in Rev either.  And every time I opened one of the
afore-mentioned stacks within Rev, I can see all of the customproperties
even though I have to enter the correct password to get to the code.  At
least at 2.02.  But I will explore dumping the customproperties into a
script as well as the blowfish option for sure.  So after setting the
password to "something" were the customproperties for both text and binary
encrypted?  And again, thank you for all the help!

Robert

On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 10:51  AM, Alex Rice wrote:
>I read somewhere that the Rev password mechanism uses an encryption scheme
>that only works with text. I wonder why? Anyways I guess that's why it
>skips custom properties but encrypts scripts. Does it encrypt custom
>properties that are textual? I guess it would *have to* to otherwise fld
>text properties and control script properties would not get encrypted at
>all.

Hmm... maybe it's time to reexamine assumptions here. Or maybe I'm
confused. I did some testing and it appears to me both textual and
binary custom properties are encrypted- so there is no need to
base64encode stuff and put it into another custom property.

-- create test stack
set the uTextProp of this stack to "hello world"
set the uBinProp of this stack to the md5digest of "hello world"
-- save stack as test.rev
-- look at test.rev in Emacs:
-- See the following text, which shows both custom properties and their
values. The value for uBinProp  is mostly the same characters that are
displayed in the properties inspector in Rev- so we are seeing both of
the custom properties unencrypted:
-- uTextProp  hello world	uBinProp  ^∂;ª‡Ó–ìÀ"ªèZÕ√

-- now try encrypting the stack
set the password of this stack to "something"
-- save stack
-- look at test.rev in Emacs
-- See what appears to be encrypted content for both the text property
and the binary property:
-- ÕÁˇtŸ<¶≠  ≈ã8√Ÿ $(1.'˘(B	Öæµnù¶Ö
Üq3Ä-M˛Lë_-A˚˘˙mõä
  ˇˇˇˇ      Í