Pros and cons of where to store image data

Barry Levine themacguy at macosx.com
Sat Sep 20 00:24:01 EDT 2003

Ken,

My app runs on OSX and XP (probably other Windows, as well). I haven't
compiled it for OS9 yet but I know it will work there, as well.

I use a QT Player object for referencing ".mov" and ".wav" files. Now,
I know that may seem like a bizarre combination but I remember reading
somewhere that Windows likes ".wav" files better than ".aiff". I could
use QT ".mov" files containing only an audio track but there are enough
apps on Mac and Windows that will produce (or export) a ".wav" file and
Rev seems to like them on both platforms. As I indicated in an earlier
post on this topic, it makes it a bit easier for my clients to generate
such files and replace older audio files with the newer ones. Not
insisting on the audio being a ".mov" makes it easier for everyone.

Regarding your installer question: Absolutely. I have been using
InstallCreator for Windows (www.clickteam.com) which is free (if you
don't mind the last screen of the install displaying their name and
website info). While I haven't used it enough to claim any expertise,
it does have the appropriate capabilities to replace files (with or
without asking for user approval). I'm not sure yet about -replacing-
an entire folder (sub-directory) but it will do the files contained
therein (and/or create a folder if it's not there).

And that brings us, full circle, back to the original topic of the
post: Where to store image data.

There are so many up here who provide useful info to me that I don't
remember who recommended keeping the interface and the code separate.
I'll add my 2 cents: Keep the images, movies, and sounds separate, as
well. The obvious benefit is that your stack won't have to load 'em all
when it loads (so no out-of-memory problems); the other benefit is what
we've been discussing: The ease of replacement should the need arise.

As for Rev using a ".wmv" file in place of a ".mov"...I don't really
know. According to how I've interpreted the documentation, once a stack
references a QT Player object, QT loads (if it's available). How would
you show a movie without a Player object? And once QT loads, why use
anything else? (Of course, it is possible that I've misinterpreted the
docs yet again.)

Regards,
Barry