Pros and cons of where to store image data

Barry Levine themacguy at macosx.com
Thu Sep 18 12:21:00 EDT 2003

I thought I'd chime in because I faced this issue and found (was told)
the answer. Relative paths is correct; but what does that mean?

The path should be relative to the standalone application. I use a
"data" folder to store my external pictures, movies, sounds, etc. It
sits at the same level as my standalone app. So the pathname to use in
the image object would be:

data/myImage.jpg   (note the lack of a leading "/")

When you are developing your app, keep it inside your Rev folder (along
with your "data" folder). This will permit the same relative paths to
be used during the development process because, during development,
it's all relative to the Revolution application.

When you create your Distribution, drop your "data" folder inside the
same folder where your standalone app resides. Everything will work
properly.

I have a few apps that my customers periodically update with new photos
or movies. They know that all they have to do is replace the old file
with the new one and keep the same name; the application will
automatically use the new media without a complaint (as long as the
file format is what the app expects; you can't reference incompatible
media simpy be renaming it).

Regards,
Barry