modal dialogs and Quit problem

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Mon Sep 8 21:09:00 EDT 2003

On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 07:10  PM, Barry Levine wrote:

> However, this nonsense of Rev permitting a modal dialog to be
> interrupted is, well, I can't use such a word on this list. There is
> no excuse for this kind of app behavior except that it's a very bad
> bug or, heaven forbid!, a design choice. A modal dialog is either
> modal in it's environment (the app) or it isn't. And -that- is a
> cross-platform problem; the modal dialog can also be interrupted in
> WinXP. Even there, it's a HIG faux pas.

Barry,

Except in Apple's HIG because in OS X they have introduced
document-modal dialogs aka sheets.

Can you explain what you mean "permitting a modal dialog to be
interrupted"? If Rev's modal dialogs are somehow not really modal that
would of course I would be concerned too... I just don't understand the
argument now. I just skimmed through bug #536, and still don't get it.
Thanks,

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com