dynamic menus

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 13:17:00 EDT 2003

--- derek bronston <derekbronston at earthlink.net>
wrote:
> Hello, anyone have a tutorial or something
> describing creating dynamic
> menus?
>
> Basically what I am doing is creating a playlist for
> an MP3 player. I
> am opening an external text file that contains the
> song info . I am
> turning this info into an array in revolution and
> want to loop through
> and print it to the stack each as a clickable text ,
> or a button.??
>
> any ideas
>
> thanks
>
> derek

Hi Derek,

Why don't you have a look at the list-field control ?

Judging by your description above, you want to build a
list of mp3-files, and play them one by one, or play
one upon a double-click.

First create a player control, through which you'll
play the MP3 files -- call it "MP3Player".
Then make a field "MP3List", and set its
list-behaviour to true via the Inspector palette.
You'll also want a button "AddMP3" to add files

Set the script of the "AddMP3" button to :
--
on mouseUp
  answer file "Please select an MP3 file"

Give the list field the following script :
--
on mouseDoubleUp
  put line (the hilitedLine of me) into tFile

Saving the list to a file is easy as well ; add a
button "SaveList" and set its script to :
--
on mouseUp
  ask file "Save MP3 playlist as :"

Reading the list from a file is just as easy ; add a
button "LoadList" and set its script to :
--
on mouseUp
  answer file "Load MP3 playlist from :"

The rest I leave up to you as an exercise ; of course,
if you have mor questions, dobn't hesitate to post
them on th list -- that's what we're here for :-)

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

=====