Novice developer: problem with Buidl Distribution...

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sun Sep 7 10:31:01 EDT 2003

>The only files in the directory Standalone_MacOSX_testje are the
>subdir Data (which is empty because I had only one stack), and the
>mainstackfile klik.rev
>I do not understand what went wrong, and I can't find a clue in the
>documentation. Can somebody please help me with this problem,
>because I would like to explore te prossibilities of Revolution, but
>without runnen programes that's not possible..

Hi Annemieke,

Hold down <control>, click on the standalone,  select "Show Package
Contents", and open the nested folders you find there...all will be
revealed.  Note: there are path name issues here when locating files
and folders in your standalone on OS X vs another platform.

Here's how I work around this [posted 25 Aug]:

All my distributions involving SDB  expect a PlugIns folder for
libraries & a Data folder for databases.

The library & db stacks are NEVER made known to the Distribution
Builder, and "Create folder for substacks" is NOT selected.  When the
standalone is created, I place it in a pre-configured distribution
folder with PlugIns & Data folders containing the proper stacks &
files.
<<

BTW, one CAN explore without building a standalone: create your
stack, select "Suspend Development Tools" from from the Development
menu, and your stack will behave virtually identically to the
standalone.  If you encounter an error, you can turn on the Dev
environment, change your handlers and/or add new controls, turn the
Dev environment off, and continue testing.  [Except when using
locally-declared variables...which always get reset when a handler
referencing them is modified.*]

Bottom line, unlike C, FORTRAN, & other traditional approaches to app
building, one does NOT have to compile one's code before testing it.

* Kevin, et al: I hope fixing this is getting somewhere up your ToDo
List, as it continues to be a major slowdown when I'm testing to have
to purge everything and run the app back to the the state it was in
when I opened the editor.

--
Rob Cozens, CCW
Serendipity Software Company

"And I, which was two fooles do so grow three.

 From "The Triple Foole"
by John Donne 1573-1631