MySQL license and revolution

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Fri Sep 5 18:15:00 EDT 2003

On Friday, September 5, 2003, at 04:41  PM, Steve Gehlbach wrote:

> I am a big fan of postgresql for other reasons, it is a far more
> sophisitcated database.  I am an old SQL hack from big Unix days, and
> I could not suffer under mySQL's simple implementation.  It may have
> gotten better in the last few years, but I think postgres has moved
> forward too.  If you want referential integrity, inner and outer
> joins, etc, postgres is the ticket.  I think mySQL has caught on for
> people with only causual familiarity with SQL, and is a little simpler
> to setup and understand.  SQL can be a goofy language to get used to,
> that's for sure.

Yep- mention "foreign key" to a MySQL user and get a blank stare back
:-) Not a snub: myself I learned SQL on MySQL.

I've since done some mapping work with PostGIS, the spatial extension
to PostgreSQL. As well as being a good SQL db, Pgsql is
object-relational and extensible.

Thanks for the PostgreSQL db drivers, Runrev!

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com