MySQL license and revolution

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Fri Sep 5 17:46:00 EDT 2003

> It says:
>
> >If you include one of the MySQL drivers in your non Open Source
> application
> (so that your application can run with >MySQL), you need a commercial
> licence for the driver(s) in question. The MySQL drivers currently include
> an >ODBC driver, a JDBC driver and the C language library.
> So will we have to remove the libmysql.dll driver from the Revolution
> distribution? The revdb database driver just links to this library at
> runtime.
>
> I thought MySQL was open source, doesn't sound open and free to me.

You could always make the database drivers open source under LGPL and
separate downloads from your site. As long as revdb is closed source I'm
sure it wouldn't harm you commercially now that database restrictions aren't
part of your licensing policy, while it might help to provide an example for
other database drivers to be developed.

Cheers

Monte