MySQL license and revolution

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Fri Sep 5 17:39:01 EDT 2003

Alex Rice wrote:

> There was an interesting article recently about the BSD licensing used
> by PostgreSQL Inc. (pgsql.com) Their strategy is to develop software and
> market it commercially for a 24 month period. After that, they release
> it under a BSD license, which is wide-open for even for competing
> commercial usages. Most recent example being a DB Replication Server. I
> wish I could find that article URL. Maybe it was just a press release.

I am a big fan of postgresql for other reasons, it is a far more
sophisitcated database.  I am an old SQL hack from big Unix days, and I
could not suffer under mySQL's simple implementation.  It may have
gotten better in the last few years, but I think postgres has moved
forward too.  If you want referential integrity, inner and outer joins,
etc, postgres is the ticket.  I think mySQL has caught on for people
with only causual familiarity with SQL, and is a little simpler to setup
and understand.  SQL can be a goofy language to get used to, that's for
sure.

-Steve