connection disruption / revGoURL problems

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Mon Oct 27 14:48:50 EST 2003

On Oct 24, 2003, at 8:40 PM, Dave wrote:
> It isn't 100% reproducible apparently, but almost (3 out of 4 times he
> uses
> one of my stacks).
>
> What is the deal?? Is this a known problem? I searched the archives but
> couldn't find anything on it. Has it been fixed perhaps in more recent
> versions?
>
> Also, probably a related phenominon, revGoURL doesn't work reliably
> either
> for him. Sometimes it does nothing, and sometimes it opens IE with a
> blank
> URL. Sometimes it works. What gives?

Having done technical support for an Internet service provider for
about 3-years during which modems went from 28.8Kbps to 56Kbps. I would
say the deal is: do not panic. It's unlikely to under your control, at
all. Modems are just pretty darn unreliable. Unless the user has a
clean phone line AND a good modem AND it's configured correctly. There
are any number of issues that can cause a modem to go bad and drop or
freeze the connection.

If the user is on a modem, it's almost certainly a modem/dialup/ISP
problem, not being caused by your app. If on the other hand if a
majority of modem users report the same problems, then I would look at
what could your app be doing. But I don't know what a Rev app could do
to break a dialup connection. Unless the connection is bad to begin
with, and the first real traffic over the link causes it to drop. Then
it's out of your control also.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>