printing

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 13:53:55 EST 2003

--- Thomas J McGrath III <3mcgrath at adelphia.net>
wrote:
> Jan,
>
> Thanks for the overview. Any examples of this to
> tear apart?

Well it's your lucky day : I had the afternoon off and
felt slightly bored ; so I'm happy to announce you can
download the result from my website ; direct link :
<http://www.geocities.com/janschenkel/downloads/rbsample.zip>

> Also, I am not up on Databases. I have used
> Filemaker. What is MySQL?
> What does it do? How does it integrate with REV and
> how can I benefit
> from using the two together?

Well if you've used FileMaker, then you are familiar
with the concept of relational databases ; MySQL is a
'free' open-source database that became popular in the
Linux world, and is often used as the back-end for
'LAMP' web-solutions because it is fast and relatively
simple to use.
For more info on LAMP, visit this O'Reilly site :
<http://www.onlamp.com>

Since version 1.1, Runtime Revolution can connect
directly to MySQL databases, so you can combine the
RAD-aspects of REV with the robust back-end database
MySQL.
Have a look at the Database Query Builder and the
database linked fields to see how easy it is to hook
up stacks with the power of relational databases.

Another popular open-source database is PostgreSQL,
which is a bit slower than MySQL, but supports
transactions, so your data is safe even when the
server looses current (what, no UPC ?)
Our good friends at RunRev HQ added support for
PostgreSQL in version 2.0 ; as for PostgreSQL vs MySQL
: I'm sure our fellow list-member Pierre Sahores can
explain the advantages better :-)

> Thanks
>
> Tom

Hope this helped,