. Re: cross-stack globals, also, file inclusion

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Oct 25 18:26:50 EDT 2003

On Saturday, October 25, 2003, at 04:10 PM, Rob Cozens wrote:

>> To keep this discussion simple, this can represented in XML format.
>
> How would one get values for pointers, handles, and addresses of call
> back routines via Transcript, Dar?

Ow!

Handles can be simply numbers.  They have no use except to be passed to
other routines in this scheme.

I guess there should be a description of data going back the other way.
  That would apply to returned values and to pointers point to values
that can be modified including pointers.  The description of, say,
buffers that can be modified can include variables to be modified or
can include a scheme to pack it up and be part of the returned value.
This would all apply to the parameters of the callback, too.

If a routine returns the address of a function, that might be handled
in the same manner as a handle.  Does that really happen?

If callbacks must be unique for calls, you might have to have an
external call to create a callback handler.  It would be used as
needed.  It would later be closed.  It could be shared if possible or
several could be created.  One simple way for it to work would be for
it to set some global values.  The application could poll those values.

(Another way would be for it to queue a 'send'.  I have figured out a
way to send, but it is slow.  Also, I don't know if revolution
callbacks are threadsafe, so these will have to be queued and handled
by the external idle.  This is all very slow.  See the bugzilla
enhancement 678.)

Are you going to raise the bar, again?

Dar Scott