. Re: cross-stack globals, also, file inclusion

Richard Gaskin ambassador at FourthWorld.com
Sat Oct 25 13:52:36 EDT 2003

Martin Baxter wrote:

> The major difference I don't think anybody has mentioned is that since the
> value of a constant is known at compile time, it can be inserted directly
> into the resulting object code. So the value has only to be looked up once
> - at compile time - whereas a variable always has to be re-evaluated at
> runtime. A variable that's got from an accessor would seem to be even more
> work because a handler has to be run to determine which variable to look up.

True, and for the extremely rare case where one is making a lot of
references to a constant I suppose the extra time for the lookup might even
become noticeable.   But if I'm not mistaken the time differerence for
calling an accessor is very, very small (fraction of a millisecond?), so in
most usages wwould have no material detriment.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation