revXMLText and accented characters on Windows

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Oct 7 19:32:29 EDT 2003


On Saturday, October 4, 2003, at 12:47  PM, Trevor DeVore wrote:

> I am creating an XML file from Revolution and saving it as UTF8.  I 
> have it working on OS X but am experiencing problems with Windows (win 
> 2000).  When an accented character is entered such as é (e with an 
> accent egout) then it seems the character is encoded when using 
> revXMLText on Windows.
>
> The code below works fine on Mac OS X with an input string of "é is 
> accented".  It creates the file and when I open it in BBEdit on Mac or 
> IE Explorer on Win then the accented characters display correctly.  On 
> Windows the same code (with path name changed and text entered into 
> the field on win platform) creates an output file that with the string 
> represented as "頩s accented".

Just an update on the solution I found to this problem.  To get around 
this problem I was experiencing on Windows I ended up using URLEncode 
for all values that I added to the xml tree I created.  After using 
revXMLText to get the text file I used URLDecode on the final xml text 
and everything seems to be working fine.  I did have to replace "&" 
with "&" after doing this though.

-- 
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com




More information about the Use-livecode mailing list