JDBC instead of ODBC

Júlio César Ködel kodel at terra.com.br
Sun Oct 5 12:08:01 EDT 2003

The problem is (for Firebird):
Firebird is, in my opinion, the best database engine, after Microsoft SQL
and MySQL. BUT, there only source code for direct access in Linux and
Windows (nobody likes mac =( ). Even if ODBC would be a TRUE reality on all
plataforms, we'd need a ODBC driver for Firebird, wich exists only for
Windows (there is plans for a Linux one, but it's not available yet). For
Macintosh, Firebird is nothing. (Those who program in Windows environment
know what is Borland and Interbase, are "strong names" on our plataform, and
Firebird is the continuation, the evolution, of Interbase).
So, we need not only ODBC, but the drivers for ODBC also (that's why I
insist that would be A LOT simple, faster, clean and easier, to make a
native driver for Firebird/Interbase). After MySQL, Valentine, PostgreSQL
and Firebird, what more could we want??? Access and MSSQL Server? (This
could be true to Macs and Windows, but I doubt about someone in Linux make
some Microsoft thing, he he he)