JDBC instead of ODBC

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Sun Oct 5 02:36:03 EDT 2003

> from and edit
> FileMaker?  That's

> developers of the
> java code.

> > > Todd, that's a new one one me!
> > >
> > > I'm all for any method to get the bountiful world of JDBC drivers can
> > > be opened up to us. Certainly better than dealing with ODBC, on Win32
> > > platforms.
> > >

> > This is a very interesting idea. Personally I'd go for expanding the
> > external API to include Java. JDBC would be an advantage
> considering there's
> > a JDBC dirver for almost every DB but think of the
> possibilities that RMI
> > would bring. We could all get fat writing Rev clients to J2EE
> systems ;-)
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Monte
>
> Yes, Yes, Yes. Even if Rev don't really need Java to connect RDBMS, it
> could be a good marketing way to help and let J2EE developers come to
> Revolution, in discovering and loving it's elegance and simplicity :-)

I imagine the combination of Sun's 'write once, run anywhere' marketing and the fact that Rev actually delivers on it would be quite a good combination ;-)

To be quite honest I think this is an area that Rev could clean up. Java GUI's (swing or not) are crap and dog slow. J2EE clients could be developed in VB but that rules out cross platform clients.

Cheers

Monte