JDBC instead of ODBC

Júlio César Ködel kodel at terra.com.br
Sat Oct 4 16:17:00 EDT 2003

Easier than a ODBC/JDBC/whateverDBC engine is a custom engine for a specific
database. For example, FireBird (or Interbase 6, which is almost the same),
there is a VB OCX and some LIBs for C to direct connect to Firebird servers
without using ODBC... The most right would we achieve the maximum
information (and source codes) of determined engine and then give it to
Revolution developers... This way, I think new native engines for Revolution
will be more easy made than we just ask "I need a driver for sbrobow
database engine" ;-)
And there is a advantage in this process: as native database engines doesn't
work uppon ODBC, and considering that all database servers are equal
(plataform independent), a engine made for revolution would work in any
plataforms (different from ODBC, which is a problem in MacOS and, I guess, a
really pain in *nix stations).

By the way... Some developer wants the source code for some libs to
FireBird? ;-)