Mac OSX standalone voice record problem

Mark Talluto revlists at
Fri Oct 3 14:25:01 EDT 2003

On Friday, October 3, 2003, at 05:05 AM, Dan Soneson wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I am once again trying to get a voice recording application to work 
> appropriately in an OSX standalone. I develop on a G4 dual 1.42 Ghz, 
> Rev 2.02, OSX 10.2.6 and deploy on both 700Mzh G4 eMacs and 500Mhz G3 
> iBooks, same OS. In the development environment, everything works just 
> fine. However, when I build a standalone and try to record through an 
> attached microphone (plantronics Audio 90 with Griffin iMic), the 
> recording tends to be truncated and jumbled up. In other words, if I 
> were to say "1,2,3,4,5" I might get "3,4,2" as a result -- very 
> strange. Also, I have noticed a tendency to limit the recording file 
> to about 4 seconds total.
> Several months ago I thought I had licked the problem by making 
> absolutely sure the recorded file was located outside the application 
> package. This workaround now seems to have no effect. The frustrating 
> part is that we might occasionally get a perfectly normal recording, 
> but the next time we try, we get the jumbled up results again. It just 
> doesn't seem to be consistent.
> We intend to deploy a recording application in our language lab, so 
> that students may record their voices and the files can be saved so 
> that instructors can hear the students' output. Occasionally, the 
> program can be used for oral testing. However, if the recording is 
> unstable at all, the program is useless.
> I have checked the bugzilla database, but have been able to find 
> anything regarding this problem there. Before I post it on bugzilla, I 
> wonder if anyone out there has found a consistent solution to the 
> problem.

I remember the problem existing when I first started using the 
recording features in MC.  At the time I could not find a workaround 
and gave up.  Was told by Scott that using the wrong compression 
settings could cause problems.  I never looked deeper into it as it was 
not needed at the time.  Bugzilla it!

Best regards,
Mark Talluto

More information about the Use-livecode mailing list