IDE inspectors should reveal all properties

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 04:58:28 EST 2003

>On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:27:14 -1000, Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
><katir at hindu.org>  wrote (under Re: Border screen "artifacts" on
>dynamically moving button on
	Windows)

>[...]

>Can anyone enlighten us as to the rationale behind RunRev's decision to
>"mask off" from the development the option to deal with certain
>properties via the property inspector? I think the armborder *was* an
>available property in the Metacard property inspector.
>
>   We mentioned this before in relation to "Button" and "Menu"   where,
>sometimes one want a button to look and feel like a button, and yet
>behave like a pull down menu. This was easily achieved in MC as the
>property inspector showed all such properties that could be set...  But
>now, with Rev it's a bit of a headache. If you chose a "menu" from the
>tools you get a property inspector that is "crippled" with respect to
>what you can do the object, which is a "button" in the docs, with a
>property list that is only partially accessible except from the msg
>box.
>
>Anyway this case is closed... but I wonder if we shouldn't feature
>request
>   that the properties inspector reveal all properties to the user...

Yes, I'm sure we should - I have been hung up by this a number of
times in different contexts, and I'm sure many of us have. It doesn't
just apply to buttons (e.g. the menuBar property of a stack is not
inspected). I'd vote for it (if I had any votes left!).

Sorry for changing the subject line: it was getting somewhat irrelevant IMHO.

Graham

PS:
On  Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:49:47 +0100, xbury.cs at clearstream.com wrote:
At 3:57 -0500 26/11/03, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

>These functionalities are part of my control browser X mod
>for Metacard for more than a year now!!!!!!!!!!
>
><http://www.monsieurx.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=100>
>
>After 58 downloads and not one bit of feedback, I haven't fixed
>those functionalities which I dont use! And have not been motivated
>to post further improvements! Supply and demand!  Without
>feedback, I have little incentive to improve it faster and I just keep
>laughing to myself whenever I see these posts!

I'd really like to know what the profile of a 'typical' MC user
was/is. I strongly suspect that it would be different from that of a
'typical' RR user. We seem to be pretty good at feedback, judging by
this list...