More about PNG

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Mon Nov 3 06:02:15 EST 2003

Hi Tom.

> Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 02:01:56 -0500
> From: Thomas J McGrath III <3mcgrath at adelphia.net>
> Subject: Re: More about PNG
>
> Ken,
>
> I haven't had time to really dig deep but I would not apply any inks to
> the image. I just brought a png file that was made in PS with no
> background(checkerboard) into REV put it over a bunch of text and
> images and perfect translucency.
>
> Is that what you wanted? if not please explain.
>
> If it is, send me the image and I will see. I do have a pretty heavy
> background in image manipulation.
-----------
Try this in a stack (on a Mac):

1) Make a field with med-large black letters. Say 24 pt. Chicago.

2) Import a shaded image (not too dark)...anything EXCEPT PNG or GIF. JPEG
is fine.

3) Inspector for the graphic, in inks properties, on the Mac side (below the
All Platform stuff), turn it into adMin.

4) Run it over the text. See? It doesn't change much. You can read the text
right through it, totally black, but its colors are good (on a white field).

5) Take the same image to PS and make a translucent image out of it (no
background),  say 50% opacity (is there another way?), Save for Web, 24 bit
PNG.

6) Import that to the same stack, and try it out.

See, the colors are washed out from degrading the opacity, and it greys out
the text under it.

What say ye?

TIA,
Ken N.