Losing the amateur.

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Nov 2 13:03:04 EST 2003

On 11/2/03 1:34 AM, Ryno Swart wrote:

> I was and am dead keen to download Scott's Ouija stack (I love your more
> personal work, Scott), but I ran into a few problems.
> First, the stack appears to require Rev version 2.1, and would not even
> download to my version 2.0.1. Couldn't these stacks be saved to, for
> example, version 1?

The file format has not changed since 2.0 was released. You should be
able to launch Rev 2.0.1 and use the "Open" menu item to open Scott's
stack. However, as Alex pointed out, the stack may use new features that
2.0.1 does not support. You will get errors if that is the case.

> Eventually I downloaded 2.1. Took me about 3 hours on a 56k modem, plus,
> I had to try 3 times (my own problem, living in South Africa, I
> suppose). The trouble is that Stuffit does not recognise the File
> "revolution.sit" and cannot open it. The message reads: "The file
> 'revolution .sit' does not appear to be compressed or encoded. etc." So,
> double disappointment.

This is a common problem if your version of StuffIt Expander is older
than the version of StuffIt that created the file. I have a client who
experienced the same problem with a stack I sent him. I made the .sit
file using StuffIt version 6.x and he tried to open it with Expander
5.x. The solution is to upgrade your copy of Expander to the latest
version. The upgrade is free.

> So I am feeling somewhat lost. That is OK. But if it not your actual
> intention to lose people like myself, some rethinking is required. How
> are you going to reach the ten-year old geniuses? And the over
> 50-artists who are only looking for a way of expressing themselves in
> the greatest new medium the world has see, multimedia?

The Express version is aimed squarely at this audience. It is very
reasonably priced.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com