Stack and Substacks... And I love Revolution 2!

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Fri May 30 09:24:02 EDT 2003

>In Revolution, if I want to have in ONE application some different windows
>(palette, modal window for dialogs b.e.) is it possble to have some
>MainStack or is it better to work with substack?

Salut, François.

Two important points:

1.  On Windows (& 'nixes, I believe), an application cannot modify
itself.  So unless your application is static (ie: a presentation
stack that does not change as a result of user interaction), any
changeable information must be stored outside of the application
itself or the app can only run on Mac OS.

So if data is stored in a stack, it must NOT be the main application
stack NOR a substack thereof.  (Data can also be filed in an external
file or database.)

2.  Stack/substack nomenclature essentially just describes whether a
stack is physically stored within another stack file or can have
other stacks stored within it.  Set the mainstack property of any
stack to itself and it is a mainstack; Set the mainstack property of
any stack to another stack and it is now a substack of that stack.

A substack cannot itself contain substacks.

Hope this helps.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company