Is this a bug? [was: Rogue visual effect sends rev awol]

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon May 26 11:46:01 EDT 2003

On 5/26/03 1:44 AM, DVGlasgow at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 26/5/03 5:49:10 AM,  I wrote:
>
> << This was just a guess, assuming that 'stacked' visual effects are pending
> messages, and doesn't do the trick. >>
>
> Panic over!
>
> I was right the first time.  I found the rogue dissolve.  I used revs
> wonderful find stack (duh, should have thought of that sooner).
>
> Instead of :
>
> Hide me with visual effect dissolve
>
> I had:
>
> visual effect dissolve
> hide me
>
> Now this was in the button that controls hiding and showing images, so it is
> used about 60 times.  Stupidly, I hadn't noticed that the two line version
> didn't invoke the visual effect.  So it seems I had racked up 60 unused visual
> effects by the time the go next card button is hit.  This uses up one of the 60.
>  The whole environment then contemplates the remaining 59 (one by one),
> without obviously doing anything with them, then eventually gets round to using the
> one that was actually in the go next card button.  Then normal service is
> resumed.
>
> 2 things strike me as a bit odd
>
> 1 flushing events and pending messages didn't solve it.

Neither of these two things deal with visual effects, so it doesn't seem
odd to me. Pending messages consist of only those custom messages that
your own scripts queue explicitly with the "send" command; they never
include system messages or internal engine routines. (In any case,
"visual" is a command, not a message, even though the engine does
stockpile the instructions internally.) The flushEvents command works
only with a small, explicit subset of system messages, and "visual"
isn't in that subset, so no surprise that flushEvents didn't clear the
queue either.

There's no way to clear a bunch of queued visual effects, that I know
of, outside of going to a card (or unlocking the screen, if "visual" is
specified in the unlock command.)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com