Help with hyperlinks

James Lewes jameslewes at comcast.net
Sun May 25 13:03:00 EDT 2003

I am building a presentation to accompany a talk I am giving on the
Underground Press at the University of Birmingham.

What I want to be able to do is link certain observations that I am making
in my presentation to related image files.

To best illustrate what I want to do, I am reprinting a small part of my
discussion and indicating where I want to build hyper-links:

I use the label underground press to stand in for and describe a variety of
newspapers published by‹and serving the interests of‹ a multitude of
different groups and associations.  While the great majority of these papers
were published between 1967 and 1971, the earliest such publication, *The
Los Angeles Free Press* appeared on May 1st 1964.

(I would like to build a hyperlink from Los Angeles Free Press, to an image
file of the cover of this issue)

Most publications were members of the Underground press Syndicate [UPS],
subscribers of Liberation News Service [LNS] or both.  Through association
with a variety of foreign and domestic press services, UPS and LNS gave
these papers access to a wealth of national and international news not
covered by AP, UPI, or Reuters.  While some of the smaller underground
papers came to rely on UPS/LNS materials for the bulk of their content, the
majority used such news and information to supplement local events and
activities.

(I would like to do the same for both, UPS and LNS, with each connecting to
different image files)

The degree to which these papers were counter-cultural community newspapers
cannot be overstressed.  For instance, most underground newspaper
publishers, editors and reporters lived in‹and saw themselves as part of‹the
same counter-cultural communities that they reported on.  As was illustrated
by The New York Rat¹s coverage of the Columbia University occupation in
April 1968, underground press news-workers were active participants in the
events they covered.

(I would like to build a hyperlink from New York Rat, to an image file of
the cover of this issue)

With few exceptions, these papers were actively interested in the myriad of
political struggles of the period.  Their reporting favored the claims of
demonstrators and activists over those of the authorities.  While the
editorial staffs were more often than not leftist or ultra-leftist, their
opposition to these authorities stemmed from their experiences as
participants in the actions they described.  For example, Liberation News
Service took advantage of the October 1967 March on the Pentagon, to meet
with a gymnasium full of underground press editors and publishers who had
come to Washington DC to participate in the March. Likewise, the Chicago
underground newspaper The Seed served as the national coordinating office
for the Festival of Life.

(I would like to build a hyperlink from The Seed, to an image file of the
cover of this issue)

Thanks to all who can help and have suggestions

James