revXML & app bundles

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Mon May 19 15:04:02 EDT 2003

On Monday, May 19, 2003, at 08:01  AM, Kevin Miller wrote:

>> Yes, on Windows it works if it put revxml.dll in the same directory as
>> the standalone. On OS X it does not work.
>
> Unfortunately not getting that here.  Do you have a recipe?

Kevin, I see it is working on OSX now too, but in one particular
standalone, I always get an error back from revCreateXMLTreeFromFile.
I'm trying to narrow it down. Sorry for the false alarm...

My initial problem was just path related. Here are some pointers for
others that are using revXML:

1) I think revxml.bundle belongs inside the application bundle, not
where the distro builder puts it;
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/SystemOverview/
AppPackaging/

A workaround in rev 2.0 is this.
-- put this line in the startup handler:
set the externals of this stack to
"your.app/Contents/PlugIns/revxml.bundle" & linefeed
-- do not select the XML library in the distribution builder
-- build per usual
-- copy revxml.bundle into your.app/Contents/PlugIns
-- (todo this, right-click or ctrl-click in Finder and select Show
Package Contents)
-- Contents/Frameworks  or Contents/Resources could be used instead of
Contents/PlugIns.

2) Even if you do the above, the path accepted by
revCreateXMLTreeFromFile() is going to be relative to the folder
containing your.app, e.g.
"your.app/Contents/Resources/definitions.opml"
I guess that's just relative to the defaultFolder.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com