Pausing a simple animation

Jim Biancolo webmaster at listology.com
Thu May 15 15:36:01 EDT 2003

Hi again folks,

I thought I had this, but I'm still stumped.  I thought if I had my "play"
button invoke a different handler using "send in 10 milliseconds" then the
"on mouseUp" event of the play button would end instantly (in effect) and
other buttons would be clickable while the animation was running (including
my "pause" button).  This does not seem to be the case.  When I hit "play"
this code runs:

on mouseUp
    send animateTokens to card "myCanvas" in 10 milliseconds
end mouseUp

This invokes the handler:

on animateTokens
   global b_play
   put TRUE into b_play
   repeat for each line L in field "frames"
     set the lockMoves to true
     repeat with i = 1 to the number of images in group "tokens_group"
       move image i of group "tokens_group" to coords without waiting
     end repeat
     set the lockMoves to false
     if not b_play then break
   end repeat
end animateTokens

Unfortunately "pause" remains unclickable for the duration of
"animateTokens" so there's no chance for it to set the global "b_play" to
FALSE until after the animation is already done.

On the bright side, I no longer feel like I'm missing something
obvious.  :-)  Can anybody help?

Thanks!

Jim