[OT] Quicktime in Windows apps

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 12 03:16:01 EDT 2003

I guess this is a bit OT, but it must be relevant to RR developers. I
have some apps that originated in the Mac environment, where they
happily used QuickTime movies. Now that I'm revising these and making
them cross-platform (using Runtime Revolution, of course!), I have
all along assumed that I would continue to use QT. However, my
publisher is querying this, saying that the customers (schools, the
smallest of which do not have dedicated IT people and may also not
have broadband internet access) may be confused by the requirement
for QT on Windows machines and will thus find the apps unusable. This
is not welcome to me, partly because I know nothing about the Windows
'equivalent' to QT, and partly because RR seems much happier with QT
movies than other kinds, particularly if one wants to do tricky
things like play the movies at different speeds etc.

Has any other lister come across this dilemma, and if so how did they solve it?

TIA

Graham