Video capture in Rev (we'll pay for help!)

wow at together.net wow at together.net
Fri May 9 11:22:01 EDT 2003

We need help capturing video through Revolution. After months of
development work on our kiosk, we are still unable to capture video
through Rev at an acceptable quality level. We're willing to pay a
programmer to quickly develop a custom solution for us.

Specifically, we need to capture video at 640x480, in color, at close to
30 frames per second, and compress it on-the-fly via a codec that will
produce a video file that can be displayed in Rev.

We've been testing this with a number of progressive scan firewire and
USB cameras that are physically capable of doing the job. These
cameras can produce the video quality we need when going through
capture programs outside of Rev. The problem is, the built-in video
capture functionality in Rev is dependent on going through either
WinVDIG or the AbstractPlane VDIG, both of which cause the frame rate
to drop to 20 frames per second or less. We've now basically given up
hope of finding a solution through Rev via its own video capture
commands.

A few alternatives exist:

1) Write or adapt a DLL that would give Rev access to other video
capture software. This might tie into a separate video capture program
(running in the background) or something like Windows AVICap
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/multim
ed/avicap_2mlh.asp).

2) Use the mcisendstring functionality that Rev can access to tap into
the built-in Windows video capturing commands

We need a solution immediately. It would be great to find it through this
list at no cost, but we're very ready to pay to have someone help us with
this. The right person should be able to create a solution in a day or
two.

Solutions can be sent back to the Rev list or emailed (or called) directly
to me.

Richard Miller, CEO
Advanced Training Systems
802-238-5355