Streaming media

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Wed Mar 26 14:04:01 EST 2003

**********
> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:30:46 +0100
> Subject: Re: Streaming media [was:Scripted musical notation available ]
> From: "Wolfgang M. Bereuter" <wmb at internettrainer.com>
>

> On Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003, at 10:20 Europe/Vienna, Richard Gaskin
> wrote:
snip
>> With the anticipated authoring features, Rev would seem a wonderfully
>> rich
>> and flexible ways to author content, which could be sent over the wire
>> when
>> it's done using any number of existing streaming solutions.
>
> Me too. I dont see the need for "a streaming rev" for CBT. If the user
> can download, lets say one (or more) lessons as a stack and work then
> offline. That will be so much faster and easier than this "allover
> there complicated and mostly slow and useless" Shockwave or what ever
> online learning sites, where you have to be conected to the server all
> the time. And much more expansiv for everybody which has "only" a modem
> connection.
----------
Of course, good webcasts are all but useless without a broadband connection,
but so are very many other multi-media websites. Virtually all cities, at
least in the U.S., offer broadband connections, and it's spreading into
rural communities. A quickly growing number of colleges and universities are
offering online interactive classes, not just text (chatroom style)
interaction, but live video lectures with media inserts, etc., even music
concerts and drama, for those with broadband access.
----------
> For inevitable streaming stuff you can do that with QT, Flash or the
> Browser opened within rev....
----------
But we're speaking about webcasting. I don't know all sites, but as a
Christian I'm familiar with this one, which broadcasts live audio and video
at various times throughout the day (RealPlayer is required to view the live
content, they don't use QT):

<http://citv.com/>

If you need/want RealPlayer:

<http://www.real.com/index_mac.html> (for Macs, Windows is available too)

Anyway, if you look there and are able to view it OK, you'll see that the
same can be (and _is_ being) done for any corporate or college seminars, and
of course, news.

My point is that if Rev can be integrated into displaying and working with
live multimedia content, then the broadcaster could manipulate and display
it while lecturing and going over the material in realtime from a classroom
studio, just like television but with the ability for interaction (student
questions, etc.)

I see this as the _inevitable_ future of interactive television.

Best regards,
Ken N.