trapping quit

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Thu Mar 20 10:54:02 EST 2003

Okay, I've done some more experimenting, and it appears as though the
shutdownRequest message IS getting sent when I invoke the quit message
in my standalone app (Mac OS X). Apparently what had been happening was
that an unrelated command in the shutdown sequence was failing, which
in effect aborted the whole shutdownRequest handler. Now, being an old
HyperCarder, I expect the standalone to complain loudly and cryptically
that something failed. However, in Revolution, outside of the
development environment there is no error reporting, so what happened
instead was...nothing. After I went back into the development
environment and tracked down a sneaky bug, then re-compiled everything
started working as advertised.

Now--and this is the origin of my bug--why is it I can't refer to a
group in a stack script handler without specifying a card in connection
with the group? Surely the stack knows about all of its groups. But if
I try to refer to a group from the shutdownRequest handler, which is in
the stack script, it works IF I happen to be on a card that has that
group placed on it. However, if I am on a card that does not have that
group placed on it when the handler is invoked, the reference to the
group fails. Solution: always include a card in the group reference;
i.e., show group "navBtns" of card "menu" instead of plain old show
group "navBtns".

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University