Flash/QTdebug/ActiveX

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Mar 19 15:21:01 EST 2003

Recently, Wolfgang M. Bereuter wrote:

>> Just curious, what would be the benefit of running Flash natively
>> within
>> Rev?  You can build a standalone Flash projector so you can already
>> build
>> Flash applications.

> A Lot...
> 1) running any swf files WITHOUT the need of Qucktime!!!

OK, but then what will drive Flash?  Even Flash requires an engine, so you
will need something external to drive it, or add significant overhead to the
Rev/MC engine to drive Flash.  Seems a little excessive.

> 2) handling flash files WITHOUT a Flash projector!!!

Again, *something* needs to play Flash, whether it's internal or external.

> 3) manipulate swf files, which have been made in other tools which can
> export swf (a lot), in rev
> WITHOUT the need of Qucktime and WITHOUT a Flash projector...
> Or its possible to run the projector in a rev card or in a textfile in
> a card?
> If yes, please, please tell me how...
> (f.e. Quarbon exports swf files (compressed) which could run from the
> disk the web or  any other medium, directly in rev. No matter if on the
> clients PC QT is installed or not...

If you're suggesting Rev/MC be able to edit Flash movies, I'm sure some
folks would find that useful, but this seems pretty demanding for companies
without the development resources of Macromedia behind them.  Look how long
it took Adobe to release LiveMotion and even then, it will always be lagging
behind Macromedia in terms of parity/features.

> 4) running (converted to flash format) QT files also WITHOUT the need
> of Qucktime!!!

See 1 and 2 above.

>> Personally, I would rather see Rev updated with some of Flash's
>> features:
>> text and graphic antialiasing, draw object transparency, multichannel
>> sound
>> (not using QT), rotatable text, etc.  Why use two separate tools to
>> get the
>> job done when you could use one?
>
> Why do you need this when you can run swf files, prepared perfectly in
> other tool which are better than rev for that job, "natively" in rev?
> Thats like have an "full featured" grafical html editor, replacing
> Photoshop, to manipulate al kind of images in the editor without the
> need of PH...
> (We say in german to this kind of things: thats not fish nor meat..)

I will be the first to say I might be wrong but I expect that the folks
developing Rev/MC already have their hands full developing/supporting the
current product, much less adding support for a new environment.  And I'm
not disagreeing with any of the sentiments expressed about how great it
would be to Flash available.  I'm suggesting that maybe it would be more
feasible for the developers to extend Rev/MC's current capabilities to be
somewhat on par with Flash.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director