Standalone UI's, data stacks, image files

John J. Theobald mailjjt at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 17 08:13:00 EST 2003

Ken Norris wrote:

> **********
>
>>Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:18:41 -0500
>>From: "John J. Theobald" <mailjjt at bellsouth.net>
>>Subject: Re: Standalone UI's, data stacks, image files
>>
>>Well, I can't answer all of your questions because as I used to tell my
>>students, "You retain more by doing it yourself than by me telling you
>>how to do it."
>>
> ----------snip
> Thanks John. Ya done good ;-)
>
> The only thing I don't understand is this:
>
> put image "image2" into image "images" of stack thisstack
>
> I thought you couldn't put an image into an image.
>
> Other than that, it's similar to what I did. I got an image, but I didn't
> know how to getrid of the one that was already there.
>
> Also, I couldn't get the image I brought in to go into the bg group where I
> need it. Nothing happened.
> ----------
>
>>Note the libraries I use are static and just containers to hold content.
>>If you intend to modify a file or stack (such as a preferences stack)
>>that file or those files can't be part of your main stack, but rather
>>they must be "independent". You can't modify the currently running
>>stack. I believe this is accurate, but others may provide better guidance.
>>
>>Hope this is of some help.

You can put an image into an image as long as they are the same geometry
(their formatted width and height are the same).  This just does a
simple pixel for pixel replacement. If they are not the same you need to
manipulate them to get them into the same geometry.  You can imagine it
would be difficult to take a 1000 pixel image and put it in a 100 pixel
image container ... there would be definite loss of quality.  If you do
it this way you don't need to get rid of the one that is already there,
as the code implies.  I preset all of my images using Photoshop or
Debabelizer.

As for the background group, that is a little beyond me, as I don't use
them.  I use groups, but not with background behavior.  If I were doing
this with an ordinary group, I would just replace the image object in my
group as above.  I don't see why this would not work with bg behavior
turned on, but perhaps others have more insight.

Good Luck!

John J. Theobald