Thinking Inside-out of the Browser

edutec edutec at sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 15 15:36:01 EST 2003

How can I get a web page to display inside a Revolution stack?

I can't run a Revolution stack inside a web browser, so I would like to
display web pages inside a Rev stack. My inspiration for this is Richard's
RevNet and NoteTaker from AquaMinds. You have to try this with NoteTaker to
get a sense of the potential power.

Using the demo (http://www.aquaminds.com/download.jsp), select File > New,
drag and drop any URL, then select View > Web Page Contents. That's it! A
live web page running inside NoteTaker.

Now imagine a template Rev stack preloaded with network management scripts
to make connections, load pages, go back one page, reload current pages, and
the like. It could have a console or floating palette for web navigation.

Imagine this template stack, just for the moment, like an open book. When
the stack is launches, the right side loads a pre-selected live web page. On
the left side is the graphical interface for a specific Revolution project.
For example, if the project is a tutorial on music, then the left page looks
something like the Shakobox.rev stack.

The project works by interacting with web pages, FTP, or other net services.
The user has instant familiarity of web browsing within a Rev stack and the
stack author is able to leverage internet resources to complement the
particular project.

Thus, one can focus on the content of a project with the relative ease of
Transcript without concern for dHTML. That's not only thinking outside the
browser, its putting the browser inside the stack.

There would be no need for a browser plug in. The stack doesn't plug into a
browser; the web page displays into the stack. The stack becomes a browser,
albeit simplified.

Now back to my original request, how can I get a web page to display inside
a Revolution stack?

-- Roger Kenyon