license issues (was mystery exception)

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Wed Mar 12 23:52:01 EST 2003

On Wednesday, March 12, 2003, at 01:08 AM, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> Well, this may be true for most people but it can be a show stopper
> for some. Consider a scientific application that involves modelling or
> function fitting. I have written such a program some years ago (sold
> as shareware) and would love to recreate it with MC/Rev (users still
> ask for it but the old code stopped working with OS 8). It requires
> users entering complex math functions that program matches to the
> provided set of experimental data, calculating statistical fit and
> producing graphical output. It would be trivial to run it through
> "do", but the 10-line limit is a killer. The only alternative I see is
> to write my own interpreter/compiler in MetaTalk but that ain't so
> trivial and slows things down. Of course, another alternative is to
> have each user buy their own copy of MC or Rev but that would be akin
> to asking users of programs written in C to buy CodeWarrior (although
> I am sure that MC/Rev folks would love it).

I'm facing the same situation in trying to implement Lisp-like
functionality in Revolution. A functional approach to coding is making
the script-length-limits into only a minor issue.

The alternative would be to approach RunRev about a special license. I
don't know whether it would be possible, but it seems like a win-win to
me.

regards,

Geoff Canyon
gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com