G5/Panther and ... Encryption (was G5/Panther and Rev)

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 27 21:39:00 EDT 2003

On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 06:06  PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 09:44 AM, Dar Scott wrote:
>
>> Maybe it would possible for the engine to keep arrays that are the
>> result of arithmetic in a special form, just as it keeps the results
>> of simple arithmetic in a special form.  That special form might be
>> optimized for speed and maybe take advantage of SIMD instructions.
>> However, I suspect only a few of us use arithmetic on arrays and then
>> only a few of that group use very large arrays.
>
> Hmmm.  There was recent discussion of block encryption...  Now if
> bitXor, and [ ]  could be expanded appropriately, maybe blocks could
> be encrypted and decrypted in parallel.  And with a slight improvement
> in binaryEncode and binaryDecode maybe variables in those can be
> arrays.
>
> Maybe if array operation semantics were expanded to other operators,
> we might find more applications of array operators.  Such as
> encryption.
>
> This should be good for ECB mode and for much or most of other modes.
>
> I wonder where else array operators might be handy.
>
> Dar Scott

I'm a blockhead. I would love it if I could store arrays or even better
dimensional arrays, both loading them from, and saving  them to a
variable. I could use them for XML transformation, pull parser
techniques, and queried interfaces between XML and database tables for
faster and easier uses. They could even act as simple databases for
general uses. As it is now I must pre-populate an array before using it.

Mark Brownell