Esperanto & Revolution

Igor Couto igor at pixelmedia.com.au
Wed Jun 25 19:11:00 EDT 2003

Dear Toma,

Thank you for your reply!

On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 05:26  AM, Toma Tasovac wrote:

> I was thinking of writing a little Unicode tutorial anyway... why
> don't you send me a stack which exemplifies some of your problems?
> Let's get things rocking... :)

Here is a short list of some of the ones I haven't been able to
overcome:

1) If you have a TABLE FIELD, there is no way to keep Esperanto text in
any of the cells. As soon as you exit the cell, the Esperanto
characters turn to gibberish. I've tried setting the textFont property
of the field to ",Unicode" before typing, but that does not help,
either.

2) If I have some Esperanto text that I want to pass as a string
parameter to a handler That handler is supposed to put that text into a
line in a field. I cannot find a way to do that successfully, and
repeatedly. Most times it does not work, with the text being turned
into Japanese, or gibberish. Every now and then, there is a script that
works (using the htmlText property, not the unicodeText), but I cannot
tell what it is that has happened differently - I think this has to do
with the way Revolution keeps changing the textFont of chars inside
fields. Sometimes I strike the right combination, just by accident.
Anyway, if you know of a way to accomplish this RELIABLY,
PLEEEEEEEEEASE share your tip!!!!  ;-)

3) How can I put an Esperanto label on a button? Setting the textFont
of the button to ",Unicode", and then trying to enter a label in the
Inspector, doesn't work. Trying to set it via script doesn't work
either. What can I do?

I have been working on a reusable 'Translator' stack - the idea being
that you enter a stringName, then the actual string, in different
languages (each card in the stack represents a language). I have found
that translating to 'run-of-the-mill' roman languages (Portuguese,
Spanish, French) poses no problem - Revolution copes with these
accented characters quite well. The problem only appears when I try to
use a language that requires the 'US Extended' unicode keyboard layout
as the input method - then, nothing seems to work...

Once again, thank you for your interest, and for your willingness to
help!

Kind Regards,
--
Igor