list email address security

curry curry at pair.com
Mon Jun 16 16:38:01 EDT 2003

>  > Hi,
>  > Just my $0.02 worth. I have been getting the same Nigerian scammer
>  > mails ;-)
>
>So do I, but on one of my other e-mail addresses, not this one.
>
>I reckon that's worth $0.03.

Are there any doubts about the risk, or any ambiguity in the current
situation? I think the only helpful and logical way to consider the
problem is to consider all (of the few) simple factors involved:

-most addresses are harvested from web pages
-the archive index and message headings *are* protected
-the security problem happens *only* when someone replies to your
message *and* your address is inserted by them or their software, or
when an address is included in the sig line
-someone has to run a bot to successfully scan that section of the internet
-the address has to be sold and used

Considering these factors, certainly, not everyone may have been
affected. For those who believe they probably haven't, that would
seem to me a good reason to hope for a correction to the problem so
that it won't happen in the future, rather than a reason not to worry
about it.

I don't think there are any great unknowns about address harvesting.
It's pretty simple, predictable, and well-understood. I'm personally
hoping that my current address here (I switched a while ago) hasn't
been scanned yet, or not too many times, and could be removed before
that happens.

I don't see that as negative or non-philosophical at all. It's simply
realistic and in fact, quite positive--a simple thing we can do to
frustrate the spammers and have less spam to deal with ourselves,
therefore more time for other things!

I frankly am hoping and expecting that something will be done soon,
and there are several ways of doing it, some I would expect are not
all that difficult. I've been staying mum about the matter for the
last few days, but since the topic came up again and seemed not
focused on the above considerations, I just wanted to make sure that
people realize what to look at in the situation.

Curry