Listee of the year award

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 14:30:00 EDT 2003

--- Heather Williams <heather at runrev.com> wrote:
> Dear list members,
>
> The results are in.
>
> [snip]
>
> The winner is....
>
> Jan Schenkel.
>
> Jan, you earned this. It will give me much pleasure
> to get a fine single
> malt whiskey shipped to your address asap. You are
> official Revolution
> Listee of the Year.

Eek, I go almost a whole day without reading my email,
and suddenly a bottle of whiskey is going to land on
my doorstep? Hmm, must try that more often ;-)

Ah, yes, ehm... A speech... Lemmethink :
"Thank you for electing me president-for-life of the
use-revolution list. At the start of my reign, I'd
like to announce a few changes : all of you will
transfer your assets to me, and I shall forever hold
all the intellectual property rights to everything
anyone on this list produces..."
Wait, no good... And I should probably scratch that
reference to my Nigerian friend as well...

Ah, got it ! This ought to be more fitting :
"I would like to thank everyone on the list ; not in
the least the 'gurus' who have on countless occasions
given me insights into areas I was unfamiliar with.
This list is an incredible pool of knowledge, and
without a shred of doubt, the gurus and many others of
you would have given the same answers I did -- I (or
was it one of my clones?) just beat them to it.
Every time I poor myself a glass from that bottle, I
will toast to you all on this list and to the people
at RuntimeRevolution HQ who are empowering us all.
So join me all in a toast to ourselves : Cheers!"

> A final surprise.
>
> [snip]
>
> So we decided to award a Newbie prize, for the
> simplest question in recent memory from the newest
> recruit.
> This award goes to
>
> Christopher S. Walters

Maybe a few hints to the people who are going to try
and get the bottles next year :
- the long url thing ?
It's been done, so adding a line or two isn't going to
help you out, I'm afraid.
- the right tactic to become Listee of the Year ?
don't bother answering questions the first 8 months ;
you start out in March, and try and answer all
questions as quickly as possible ; if it seems like
someone else is going to beat you to it, drop your
work and have at ! be careful not to loose momentum in
May though ;-)

No seriously, this list is, as other have pointed out,
a great place to be ; let's keep it that way, with a
little nudge from our listmom every once in a while --
we love to hear from you, Heather, and not just when
you're sending out bottles ;-)

Have a great day everyone !

Jan Schenkel.

=====