using database query builder

rand valentine jrvalent at wisc.edu
Thu Jun 12 11:17:01 EDT 2003

  I have several questions about working with Rev and databases (I'm using
Valentina xcmd for now on a mac running os 10.2.6).

1. When I open my main working stack, I have a Database Query Builder
(hereafter DBQB) connection that connects to a Valentina database that
presently has two tables, BasicLexicon and Keys. I have two queries, one for
the table BasicLexicon and one for the table Keys. When I run

revopendatabases()

  I get the answer: 4

  Why not 1, 2, or 3? Why 4 for the database ID? It doesn't matter if I quit
Runrev, turn off my computer, etc. I always get 4.

2. In DBQB, I set a certain field as the primary field for a given query.
But whenever I recheck the query, the primary field is listed as "None"
until I click the "refresh query" button. Why would this be?

3. Previously I reported that I was able to use revDataFromQuery to get the
results of a join, that is, request data from two distinct tables and have
it stitched together. But now this no longer works -- when I execute the
revDataFromQuery using the command that worked before, I get:

revdberr,

and that's all. Any ideas on what's going on? Also, if I can't do a join in
this way, how _do_ I do one?

Thanks so much.

rand valentine