HTTP headers for posting data

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 14:37:01 EDT 2003

At 7:20 pm +0200 10/6/03, Andre Rombauts wrote:
>I want to post data from a RunRev application to a web page that
>will manipulate them.
>Let's say data1, containing "Hello" and data 2 "World"...
>How do I setup the httpHeaders property and the data argument in the
>post instruction?
>Where can I find more info about setting up http headers for
>get/post procedures?
>
>on mouseUp
>     put "Hello" into data1
>     put "World" into data2
>     set the httpHeaders to ???
>     post ??? to URL http://www.mysite.org/php/test.php
>end mouseUp
>
>Thanks in adavance to all!
>
>André Rombauts

You'll need to know what form of data the server is expecting. If
you're trying to reproduce something in a web page, you should be
able to look in the html page source and find the various data fields that
are sent with the request.

If it's a typical url form you want to emulate, then the data you
need to post usually looks like this:

"field_1=value&field_2=value&field_3=value"

So if the field names are "data1" and "data2" then you could try
something like this:

    put "data1=Hello&data2=World" into tData
    post tData to url "htpp://whatever..."
    if the result is not empty then
      answer the result
    else
     put it into field "response" ##or whatever
    end if

You shouldn't need to set the httpHeaders. By default, the
"Content-Type" header is set to "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
for post requests.

Cheers
Dave