RunRev: right for this project?

Alan Simon alansimon01 at optonline.net
Wed Jun 4 21:41:01 EDT 2003

Hello, I've been trying to decide if Runtime Revolution is the right
tool to develop my new project (I'm also considering 4D and REALbasic).
I'd appreciate any opinions on the suitability of Runtime Revolution
for this project:

The project involves generating a report of a medical procedure.  Four
people are involved in supplying data for the report, all of whom work
in different places.

1.  A receptionist who enters data on the patient, what physician
ordered it, why it was ordered, and similar demographic data.

2. A technologist who fills in technical data on how the study was
done, machine settings, and what protocol and materials were used.

3. One physician is present while the test is performed, and will enter
data while the test is happening.  Some of the data would be best
entered with a "slider" type of data control, others with checkboxes or
picklists.  Possibly a tablet PC would be used.

4. Another physician looks at the results of the test later in the day,
and provides an interpretation.  Hopefully, he could electronically
sign the report and fax it immediately to the physician that ordered
it, or save it as PDF.  The report should also be saved for future
reference.

Despite reading the available documentation, I've been unable to tell
which programming environment would work best, particularly regarding
the ease of having multiple users enter data, and the importance of
using a database-centered programming environment, like 4D or
Filemaker, as opposed to a more general programming environment like
Runtime Revolution.  My programming experience is limited, and I don't
want to find out a few months down the road that I made the wrong
choice.

Thanks,

Alan Simon