Books for Profit?

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Tue Jun 3 10:42:12 EDT 2003

I agree with Dan. There are several non-profit sources of information
on Rev now (Geoff's WIKI, several search sites, Google search at
RunRev) and they are great as far as they go. As much as I think
electronic versions of documentation are fabulous (and I think Gene's
done a great job with Rev's), there is nothing quite like a printed
book.

Books are tangible and can be purchased and/or perused at bookstores
and they can be taken anywhere. I think this is particularly important
for a product like Revolution (and MetaCard) because they can't be seen
or purchased at any store. They have no visibility on anyone's shelf. I
think such a book would find its way to Apple Stores and Borders and
Barnes and Noble.

Oddly enough, I think it might be more difficult to get this in stores
like CompUSA or Best Buy because they don't sell Revolution so there is
no tie-in to other products they do sell.

If I were contemplating writing a book I'd plan to make money with it.
After all, I have the same motivation for the commercial software I'm
writing.

Bill Vlahos