newbie: OS X and answer file ?

tom farrell thf at pvs.k12.nm.us
Tue Jun 3 10:39:01 EDT 2003

Hi...

Sorry not to have been more clear.

- I have a test/trial/learning stack started.
- I and it are using the OS X platform for now.
- I am using the educator's full version (ie, this isn't a
limited-version problem).
- I am using "answer file of type" and/or  "answer file with filter"
along with parameters like "JPEG" or "JPEGPICT" or "GIFf" or
"JPEGPICTGIFf" to try to display to the user a directory listing in
which only directories and files of those graphics types are
displayed.
- I find that there are, for example, files names "abc.jpg" which are
filtered correctly BUT other files in that same directory, named
"xyz.jpg", which are NOT filtered correcty.
- It's not a filename-suffix matter (as one might think in the old
8.3 dos days) because the suffixes are the same AND the non-working
files have, upon examination in ResEdit, the correct filetype (eg,
"JPEG").
- So - unless I am overlooking something obvious, which is very
possible, I don't see how to use "answer file" to consistently yield
correctly filtered directories, at least in this OS X, graphics-file
case.
- I'm not (yet?) having trouble *opening* a file, at this point I
just want a correctly filtered directory to be displayed.

>  Look at the "answer file" command in the Transcript Dictionary.

- yes, I would have RTFM if I'd had one    :-)
- I thought my brief description had shown that I had used the
correct sytax and parameters as briefly outlined in the dictionary.
Sorry for the lack of clarity.
- I have tried searching this list's archives.
- I have looked at the "revolution for newbies" bulletin board.
- and generic google searches.

thanks again for any help for which you might have time.

tom